-->

Friday, December 10, 2004

Travelocity and Lodgings.com Dreadful user experiences....

thetravelinsider comes down hard on Travelocity and Lodgings.com: David M Rowell aka The Travel Insider" writes " almost feel sorry for Travelocity. I'm sure they wish I didn't occasionally try and use their service; because so often I have problems, and then write about it!

This week's Travelocity problem : I booked a couple of flights - Seattle to Las Vegas and back, with Travelocity suggesting an Alaska Airlines flight down and an America West flight back, with a total cost of $302 plus a $5 Travelocity fee (in addition to the airline commissions they receive). But when I went to pay for the ticket, the website tells me that it will cost another $19.95 to have a paper ticket issued and couriered second day air to me (even though I'm not flying for almost a month).
I simply want the $302 ticket, same as they quoted, but which actually appears to be impossible to obtain. If they know they can't issue an electronic ticket for this itinerary, and if they know they'll be adding a mandatory extra $19.95 to the price, they should adjust their pricing to reflect the truth of the situation up front. Whether this is bait and switch, or just stupidity; the bottom line, and ill-will generated, is the same.

I then used Sidestep to find a Vegas hotel. It reported an average nightly rate of $59.99/nt at Harrahs through Lodging.com. I clicked to book and was taken to the Lodging.com site, which confirmed that, for the four nights I'd be staying at Harrahs, the average nightly rate would be $59.99. I clicked to confirm my reservation, and was told the total cost of the four night stay came to $1315.72, not the $239.96 I was expecting.
As a former travel agent, I know there's no way in the world a client would let me get away with telling them 'yes, your hotel will be $59.99 a night' in one breath and then saying 'which makes a total of $1315.72 for the four night stay' in the next breath."

Google
Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.