-->

Friday, December 10, 2004

Can People Really Program 80+ Hours a Week?

Interesting debate at Slashdot with masses of pros and cons that you may all want to comment on:

"In my 35 years of coding experience, any time I try to work on a complex program for more than, say, 60 hours a week (coding, not just showing up) for a couple weeks at a time, I'm just asking for trouble: I generate buggy code and debugging it only makes it buggier. Numerous studies in other fields (law firms, hospitals) have shown that mistakes rise exponentially after anyone works about 50 hours per week... This whole 'death march' mentality seems absolutely crazy to me as a programmer, but appears to be common. Honestly, can someone enlighten me as to how these 80+ hour weeks ever accomplish anything?" "

Google
Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.